Blessed by Him. Blessed by others.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Climb


Yesterday was one of my most favorite days this year. I went hiking with four of my girlfriends and two guy friends. We headed up to "The Chimney Tops" in Gatlinburg for a day full of adventure! The trip there was priceless. We rode through the entire "strip" of Gatlinburg (all of the shops and things to do with people EVERYWHERE) singing Shania Twain, Disney songs, and Britney spears at the top of our lungs with the windows down waving to people. Highlight of my weekend.

This trip was much needed and I loved every single solitary second of it. From the falling off the side of the mountain, to all the girls singing Miley Cyrus', "The Climb" while we were "climbing", to me peeing on myself. Uncomfortable for the rest of the hike, but I wouldn't change it for anything. It brought much needed laughs accompanied by tears (me). It was such a beautiful hike and I had never really been on a "hike" before. I just looked around with pure amazement at how God could create something so beautiful, so perfect, something to take my breath away. It looked like the rocks had been placed PERFECTLY for our feet to step on, the trail was so perfect for us to walk on, and the waterfalls and streams were so perfectly placed and refreshing at just the right times.

I was thinking about it last night and one question popped into my mind while talking with a friend. I was going to ask her "Who made that trail?" Oh. my. goodness. Did I just say that out loud? Embarassing. But no, seriously that DID pop into my mind. I did stop myself and it never left my mouth. And those types of questions pop into my mind way too much. It happens to us all. Saved or not.

The problem, I think is, we don't really appreciate what we "see" everyday. I walk to class every. single. day. But I never look at a tree with beautiful flowers and say, "WOW, God! You created this. Thank you, it is beautiful, just like YOU." Much less look at an old, leafless dying tree and say the same.

Let me ask a question that may get us thinking. It is easy to thank God for such a beautiful sunny day, isn't it? Yes it is. I see way too many facebook status' that say.."Thank you God for such a beautiful SUNNY AND WARM day!"

I'm a sucker for this too, I will admit. BUT yesterday lead me to start thinking differently. God makes everyday the way He wants it. Which is PERFECT. He makes rain, snow, sleet, hail, sun, clouds, cold and hot. Yes, He even makes the days where it is so cold my nose goes numb AND on top of that it's pouring rain AND I am walking to class. He makes them because that's the way He wanted that day. And He don't make no mistake! :) Whatever the weather brings we should PRAISE him no differently than the day before.

Why can't our facebook status' say, "Thank you Lord for today because YOU are in it. YOU are seen through these trees, the grass, the clouds, and all of this beautiful, COLD rain." He made the cold rain, and we should PRAISE Him for it. We don't because we are selfish and want COMFORTABLE sunny, warm weather. Most of the time.

It's funny how it takes something like a simple hike that takes my breath away to notice all of my flaws and how I can start praising Him more. I thank God for that hike and the pictures and memories I can cherish forever.

Another one of the favorite memories of the day that I will leave you with is my friend asking us a simple question. She asked, "What if Jesus was waiting for us on top of this Mountain?" It through us all for a loop BUT I am so so glad she asked something like this. We all looked at each other and I know what I would do. I would start sprinting up the mountain. I would not stop for "water breaks". I would not wash my feet in the creek. I would not take pictures. I would not talk. I would barely be breathing. That just gets me excited.

So, this week, let's do this together. We are all in this together, ya know. Let's start praising Jesus for what each day brings. Look around at everything and think about how God is seen through it. Think about how beautiful all of God's creation is.

I love every one of you and will be praying for a week filled of fun, fellowship, and God praisin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment